Peace Pole planted at the Grotto-August 31, 2008

Sunday, August 31, 2008

 

The Grotto community was first formed when permission was granted by the Order to commence the Sanctuary of Our Sorrowful Mother back in 1923.  Fr. Ambrose Mayer, OSM, had purchased the property from the Union Pacific Railroad, and with the title came the impetus for starting his dream project.  Father Mayer had promised God that if his mother recovered from serious illness following the birth of a young daughter, he, young Ambrose, would do something great for the Church when he grew up.  His mother did recover and over the years the promise was not forgotten.  Ambrose grew up, became a Servite priest, and kept looking for the opportunity to fulfill his promise.  The purchase of the property on skidmore Street in Portland Oregon was just the beginning. The Grotto is now the location of a Servite monastery and chapel.  The Grotto itself is a shrine carved out of the rock cliff.  The beautiful Peace Pole, shown in the photograph, guards the entrance to the Peace Garden.

Comments are closed.